miniSpinner retreat at Judith MacKenzie's studio in Port Hadlock, Washington
This retreat is all about great America wool breeds and bast fibers! These two materials are at the foundation of American textiles.
One day will be exploring some of the great wool breeds of America; Leicester, Rambouillet, Targhee, Columbia. Gain skill in choosing a fleece. Learn how to prepare them and to spin them. Find out what are the best carding and washing techniques.
Spend another day, looking at bast fibers; maybe some nettle, flax, ramie, bamboo, and a bit of cotton. Discover their characteristics, what they are best for, and learn how to control them when spinning.
*Linsey-woolsey is used to refer to 18th century woven coverlets or bed coverings made with a linen warp and woolen weft. We thought it is a fun way to tag this workshop.
This retreat will be in Judith's studio for 12 participants. Port Hadlock is our little community just south of Port Townsend.
- Pre-retreat Happy Hour and snacks the first night at the Belmont, Port Townsend
- Two full days of classes with Judith
- Light lunches
- An evening program with Judith
Lodging is not included. Accommodations will be at the lovely Old Alcohol Plant in Port Hadlock, Washington.
Contact the hotel directly to book your room. Mention "HansenCrafts” for special rates. There are standard rooms, rooms with 2 beds, and suites available.
Call 888-733-6802 for reservations.
Alternate Lodging options -
Click here - Port Townsend guide - Remember, Port Townsend hotels will be about a 20 minute drive from the studio.
- For cancellations up to one month in advance, a cancellation fee of $100 will be retained.
- Sorry, there are no refunds for cancellations made within one month of the retreat, UNLESS we can fill your place two weeks before, in which case we will refund your tuition less the $100 cancellation fee. This compensates us for the considerable time and effort required to fill your place at this late date. We will try to assist you in any way we can. We do not allow trading of class spaces without contacting us for approval.
- No one wants to have to cancel just a few weeks or less before the retreat and if they do it is because of a change in personal circumstances, illness, or something far more serious. We understand the serious nature of cancellations, but HansenCrafts cannot bear the sole risk for the circumstances that cause you to cancel. We all take risks when we buy tickets ahead. HansenCrafts has a cancellation and refund policy that is generous by the standards of most events. We will do everything we reasonably can to fill your spot prior to the retreat but it is ultimately your responsibility if we cannot.